Sunday, July 15, 2012

Baby you were born to run

We have been back riding for a full week now. Kept the average moving speed at 4 to 4.5 miles per hour. Ride on Friday and today were were 1 hour (including 10 minute warm up and cool down). Today we cantered. How fun :)




It was hot this afternoon (in the 30 C). Luba has been very calm the past few rides. Hot weather? Settling into a routine? MagOx? She is still willing and forward. Just less spooky and stands very quietly for tacking up and mounting. :)

The vet is coming to check blood chemistry again on Thursday morning. The mineral panel is not back yet. Hopefully tomorrow. From the reading I have been doing, it seems like giving extra Vitamin E and Selenium when she is working hard is not a bad idea. Will ask Dr. Ben about Vetre-Sel-E from Bioniche. Will also ask more questions about what is "normal' levels of selenium. I know endurance horses benefit from being at the high end of normal (Luba tested at high normal in March).  Based on 4 cups/day of Evolution Elite and 2 scoops of Nutriquin Elite, she is currently getting about 1.6 mg of selenium per day.

My gut tells me she is ready to go back to "real" work, but I would like to get the okay from Dr. Ben. If everything looks good, I plan to go visit my friend Chrystal who lives near the Ganaraska forest next week for a riding holiday. It will be a good test, as it is about a 3 hour trailer ride and staying over a couple of nights. Just like going to a ride, except we can sleep in and ride whenever we want to. :) :) :)

Luba is being ridden every other day. So our next outing will be Tuesday evening. I think we should take a trip down the road, up Phelan to First line and back. That is about a 5 mile tour.  Kara is planning to come, so maybe we can alternate riding and running. I dyed my hair fuchia red yesterday, inspired by the movie, Run Lola Run.



Run Nancy Run!  Run Kara Run!  Run Luba Run!

Baby you were born to run

No comments:

Post a Comment