Sunday, July 12, 2015

Living the dream - Stellar Crew and Mandarin Oranges

So this time last week, we were just finishing the canyons at the Tevis Ed ride. Seems like a dream already.

I have been trying to compose one big blog post that would sum up the whole weekend, but that is an impossible dream.  So instead, I will just keep posting blogs until I run out of things to say.

Here is the most important thing I learned at the Tevis Ed Ride:

It's all about having Stellar Crew. And mandarin oranges.

I am the Chief Cook and Bottle Washer when we go to a ride. I organize everything for me, my kid, Karma the dog and the 2 horses. I pack, drive, ride, crew, drive home and unpack.

Being a guest rider of the Stalley's was a dream! First,  the luxury liner Lisa-moble motorhome arrived fully stocked with food.


Photo: J. Stalley

Then the Stalley-mobile showed up with the horses!

Stalley-mobile

Lisa was supposed to ride with me and Jennifer on Saturday, but the Horse Gods had other ideas. So she immediately stepped up to join the Stellar Crew. In fact, between the three of them, our Stellar Crew have more Tevis buckles than I can count on both hands.

Before we went to bed on Friday night, we had set up the tack and supplies I would carry on the saddle for the two horses I would ride on Saturday, and I had checked the brakes and steering on both of them. We had a great taco salad for supper and everyone went to sleep, serenaded by the mule camped next to us.

All I had to do was ride! And that was a dream, riding on an experienced Tevis horse and with an experienced Tevis mentor. When we arrived at Deadwood vet check and hold, Lisa and the Stalley's took care of the ponies, so all Jennifer and I had to do was sit down to eat and drink and rest with nice cold, wet facecloths draped over our heads. Mount #2, Limitless, was all tacked and warmed up and ready to go from Deadwood to Foresthill. Like the Pony Express!

Crimson and Lisa
Scorch and Limitless


photo: D. Cognée http://cogneephotography.com/Home_Page.html

And I discovered the delight of cold mandarin oranges. This will now be a staple in my crew bag!




Tevis Ed Lesson #1:  A good horse makes short miles, but Stellar Crew makes riding easy. 

And don't forget to pack the mandarin oranges.



No comments:

Post a Comment