Monday, July 14, 2014

The hay is in the barn - Take 3



Three more sleeps until Team Luba leaves for Vermont. This will be our third attempt at completing a 100 mile ride.

Luba and I started riding 50s in 2009 when she was 6. We have completed three 75s - one each year since 2011.  But that 100 mile completion has been elusive.  Third time's a charm?

What I learned from our Pine Tree 100 attempt is that I need to ride my horse every other day once she is fit. The trip to Florida for NAETC taught me loads about how to manage my horse when travelling long distances.  I am sure Vermont 100 will teach me something too, I just hope that it also involves learning how to wear a belt buckle ;)

Vermont 100 endurance ride sees both riders and ultra marathoners sharing the trail. It is my favourite ride of all time for lots of reasons, not the least of which is the cheering crowds along the trail!



Coming off the Stormont 50 where Luba finished feeling good with lots of gas in the tank (HVS and BC to boot!) we are both feeling fit and ready to attack the hills of Vermont.

Team Luba

Starring Luba aka Serious Moonlight (Earl Grey X Crown Serazzima) 2003 grey Arabian mare


Photo by K. Somerville

Supporting cast

Nancy Grayhorse - rider trying not to get in Luba's way too much on trail



VT100 Crew - Deanna and Veronica



Teacher - Sonja Koch of Horses of the Sun and Super Uwe who can fix anything and Heidi who rides Luba for me when I am away.


Navan Veterinary Services - especially Dr. Jenn Hubbard


Mike's Performance Hooves for expert trimming and gluing of Renegade hoof boots!
Look how young and rosy Luba is in this picture! Mike gluing on Renegades for the first time before heading to a  mileage ride at Seoul's Corners, Sharbot Lake, Ontario in 2009.
Mike also produces great meat, eggs and honey in his spare time at Roadapple Ranch.


Renegade Hoof Boots - always there to support us with their great products - boots and saddle bags.



The 4th Gear - Power up your Endurance Horse The Summers have great advice. If you are a distance rider, this will be the BEST $9 you ever spent. Buy it now!


And last but definitely not least, my family........


photo: J. Griffin-Scott


.... and my endurance family! You know who you are. Thanks for being the best cheering section anyone could ask for!  Always there to offer a word of support and advice.

Now I am off to ride Luba. Riding first, packing second. Giddy-up!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! I finally finished a 100 on my third try; I bet Vermont is gonna be your "lucky third." Can't wait to hear your story and see that buckle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are right! Story to follow for sure :)

    ReplyDelete