Monday, February 27, 2012

Little lunge

Left work late today and didn't arrive at the farm until just after 5:00 with the snow and the traffic.

Took Luba over to my neighbour Pat's arena to lunge over a jump made from a trot pole and a couple of hay bales. Worked about 20 minutes, mostly trot and canter in addition to 10 minute warm up and cool down periods.

Luba with Pat in Pat's arena, Feb 25, 2009


Didn't seem like much of a workout for Luba, but I have just sent my GPS / heart rate monitor to be repaired, so I have no real data. Next time I will bring my stethoscope to check her heat rate and recoveries.

I think Luba needs more meat on her bones. I taped her at 863 lbs today. Have asked Lloyd to up her feed from 4 cups to 6 cups of Purina Evolution Elite (6 cups = 2 lbs) plus her Nutriquin Elite vitamins twice a day. Maybe increase her hay ration as well. I also feed her a generous helping of beet pulp, two ounces of salt and about a cup of extra feed on the days when she works.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Will take a similar conformation shot in Pat's arena on Wednesday to compare to the 2009 picture above.

No comments:

Post a Comment