Monday, February 28, 2011

Morning practice

I have found my morning yoga practice again. It changes from day to day, but the key elements are sun salutations and savasana. Sometimes that's it.


As a rider, I find the cobbler's pose (butterfly) to be really beneficial. So a typical 15-20 minute morning practice looks like this:


Nancy and Charlotte yoga/hiking in Phoenix 2010

  • between 3-7 sun salutations
  • savasana
  • cobbler's pose (butterfly)
  • incline plane
  • child's pose
  • camel
  • child's pose
  • seated spinal twist
  • comfortable cross-legged position to breathe and integrate
  • grasp your wrist behind you back, bend forward and remind yourself of your highest quality
  • hands in prayer pose - om nama sivaya

Today I also threw a cow's head in after the spinal twist. Just do what your body calls for, but do something everyday. Even if it is just being mindful of your breath. Inhale, abdomen goes out, exhale, abdomen comes in.


If you can breathe, you can do yoga.


Namaste Nancy



2 comments:

  1. Thanks Nancy. My routine is Pilates, which includes some Yoga, and of course the breathing, but not the inner world. I feel ready to move toward that. I have the book you gave me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the inner world is patiently waiting for you
    welcome, Nelly!

    ReplyDelete